Some day, I am going to publish a web page compiling the insults I’ve received at the hands of religious people over the years.
It is going to be a long list.
Last week I wrote a short post that, if compressed to 4 sentences, might be summarized like this:
Here is something one of our leaders said about us: [quote].
It sounds like he’s saying [ugly thing].
Am I misinterpreting?
If not, this hurts, since said leader is a longtime friend.
Since then, in about some 80+ comments, I’ve been told the following. For fun, inhale deep, try saying them all in one breath.
Fed through Random.org to ensure non-biased ordering:
- I am letting anger rule my heart.
- I am offering speculation that leads to slander.
- I was outright attacking Boaz Michael.
- I am not holding back my animalistic soul.
- I am responsible for insults being thrown.
- I don’t want to be confused by the facts.
- I am just bashing people.
- I am selfish.
- I am not following Matthew 18.
- I am voicing my bias.
- I am speaking any way I want.
- I am offering hurtful speculation.
- I am incredibly arrogant.
- I am supersessionist in regards to the Christian church.
- I am allowing my yetzer hara (evil inclination) free reign of my tongue.
- I am letting anger rule my writings.
- I am not acting like a disciple of Yeshua.
- I am not being charitable.
- I am not using my intelligence the way HaShem desires.
- I am unwilling to hear past my own subjective reading.
- I am wrong.
- I’m going to stay here no matter what, even if I’m wrong.
- I should delete my post.
- I can’t even pick up the phone and resolve this.
- I have not grown up.
- I am taking this way out of context.
- My post was shocking and embarrassing.
- I am diminishing Israel.
- I’m offended because my community is supersessionist.
- I don’t want my mind to be changed.
- I am not acting like a child of God.
- I am mischaracterizing Boaz Michael, and this is a common problem on my blog.
- I am responsible for people being hurt.
- I am self-fulfilling.
- I am choosing high blog activity over Yeshua’s rulings.
- I am an opposer of Israel.
- I should be ashamed.
- My idea of “Israel” exists only in my own mind.
- I am attacking Boaz because my feelings were hurt.
- I believe in my heart I have the right, nay, responsibility to interpret Torah as I see fit.
- My thinking is fundamentally supersessionist.
- I am not engaging in brotherhood.
- I am guilty of lashon hara (evil speech).
- I have an un-regenerated heart.
- I am leaving behind all civility.
- I am attacking Boaz Michael in public.
- I am an enemy of Israel.
- I could have handled this better.
- I am preaching another gospel.
- I am engaging in chinat sinam (baseless hatred).
- I have not learned anything from Boaz Michael’s humility.
- I am stooping to a level of non-objectiveness.
- My post is simply an attack.
- I am typing cute and witty insults.
- I am responsible for people being full of anger.
- I am a cry baby.
- I am showing a lack of scholarship.
- I am taking this to the extreme.
- I should have dealt with this issue privately.
- My assumptions are wrong.
- I am arrogant enough to believe I have a corner on religion.
- My post is fruitless.
- My post is the reason people turn away from the Messianic movement.
- I am being inflammatory.
- I am an enemy of Israel, just not in the sense of “we hate you and want to kill you”.
- I am harming the Messianic community.
- I am childish.
- I am not being professional.
- I am stirring the pot.
- I am acting like a novice.
- I am toratically (SP) committing a sin.
- I have chosen to make this personal.
- I am grossily (SP) misinterpreting Boaz’s words.
- I was disrespectful.
- I am supersessionist in regards to Israel.
- I am making fun of Boaz Michael.
- I am reaping rebukes, and deservedly so.
- I am not loving mankind.
- My post is damaging the body of Messiah.
- I am not keeping my soul in check.
- I should close the comments to the post.
- I am using theological discussion as an excuse to act out my sinful nature.
- I have an understanding of the Bible shaped by an already-made-up mind.
- I am unwilling to believe any interpretation other than my own.
- I diminish the purpose of Yeshua.
- I am editorializing.
- I could have been more constructive.
- I am saying things Yeshua would not have said.
And that was just from one post!
Fine blog reader, this blog, Kineti, is the oldest individual Messianic blog on the web – just imagine how many insults there have been over the 7 years of running this blog!
About that post, if you’re wondering how it resolved, I spoke to Boaz Michael over the phone twice Friday. Then several private emails. The end result is, I did one thing that was inaccurate, and two things that were accurate. Details coming later this week, stay tuned.